About This Workshop
“Used with skill, assessment can motivate the reluctant, revive the discouraged, and thereby increase, not simply measure, achievement.”
Empower learners to act based on what they know, understand, and can do. A first step to unlocking such learner agency is purposefully and intentionally designing assessments that drive both educators’ and students’ next steps.
In this 4-week workshop, you will engage in real-time and asynchronous learning cycles to construct and deepen understanding, apply new learning in practice, connect with others, and reflect. Throughout the workshop, participants will:
- explore how assessments can support, motivate, and engage all learners to take ownership of their learning.
- gain a deeper understanding of the Understanding by Design backwards design planning process.
- identify meaningful outcomes for learners.
- intentionally pair assessment methods to types of learning.
- design learning experiences that align to learning outcomes.
- tap into our collaborative learning community for feedback and inspiration.
All Learner-Centered Workshops model experiences and practices that can be applied with young learners, too. Educators will engage in the learning process through collaboration, meaning-making, inquiry, and reflection; set goals aligned to current teaching practices and desired outcomes; build transferable skills and competencies that lead to transformational learning; and experience community-building practices that encourage and promote engagement.
Gratitude for this time and space to dive deeper into better understanding how to make assessments meaningful! Grateful for all the awesome educators in all of our breakout rooms!
– Poonam Leonard, Instructional Coach, El Segundo Unified School District
As a result of my learning, I will approach curriculum and content with more purpose and intention.
– Educator, The Hewitt School, site-based Workshop participant
This gave me time to be creative and thoughtful – and I am really excited about some assignments I’ve created as a result.
– Science teacher, El Segundo Unified School District, Fall 2020 Workshop participant
I used to create lessons because I had to cover the content. Now, I create meaningful lessons with a targeted objective, centered around student collaboration and growth.
– Math teacher, El Segundo Unified School District, Fall 2020 Workshop participant
Thank you for this training which pushed me to think more deeply about backwards design and about involving students in every step of the learning process. Having ownership over one’s learning is empowering.
– Faculty, Mercersburg Academy, site-based Workshop participant
Our Learner-Centered Workshops are designed and led by practitioners from across the country who are dedicated to supporting your learning experiences and, ultimately, your learners’ success. We can’t wait to meet and collaborate with you.
Interested in a Workshop tailored to your learning community’s goals and needs?
Check out our school, district, and state collaborations.