“Used with skill, assessment can motivate the reluctant, revive the discouraged, and thereby increase, not simply measure, achievement.”
– Rick Stiggins
Empower learners to act based on what they know, understand, and can do. A first step to unlocking such learner agency is purposefully and intentionally designing assessments that drive both educators’ and students’ next steps.
In this 4-week workshop, you will engage in real-time and asynchronous learning cycles to construct and deepen understanding, apply new learning in practice, connect with others, and reflect. Throughout the workshop, participants will:
- explore how assessments can support, motivate, and engage all learners to take ownership of their learning.
- gain a deeper understanding of the Understanding by Design backwards design planning process.
- identify meaningful outcomes for learners.
- intentionally pair assessment methods to types of learning.
- design learning experiences that align to learning outcomes.
- tap into our collaborative learning community for feedback and inspiration.
All Learner-Centered Workshops model experiences and practices that can be applied with young learners, too. Educators will engage in the learning process through collaboration, meaning-making, inquiry, and reflection; set goals aligned to current teaching practices and desired outcomes; build transferable skills and competencies that lead to transformational learning; and experience community-building practices that encourage and promote engagement.
Includes a Toolkit