Nerel Winter, CEO of Bostonia Global in Cajon Valley, CA shares his experiences and insights on creating a learner-centered high school within a traditional district system.
Nerel discusses his background as a musician who fell into education and became disillusioned by the conventional school system’s focus on college admissions over personal purpose and relationships. This led him to envision a TK-12 school aimed at personalizing education around each student’s interests, strengths and aspirations.
Key topics covered in our conversation include:
- 🤝 Advisory structures to build trust and understand each student deeply
- 🗺️ Exposure to diverse careers and mentorships tailored to student passions
- 📜 Competency-based transcripts showing mastery and growth over time
- 🧠 The difficulty of shifting educators’ mindsets away from standardized measures
- 🎓 Nerel’s hope for schools to focus on supporting meaningful life paths over college admissions