Buffy Cushman-Patz, Founder of SEEQS Charter School in Hawai’i, discusses her educational journey and the philosophy behind creating a learning environment that focuses on essential questions of sustainability. SEEQS is guided by five values:
- Real-world situations and real-world contexts enable real-world learning.
- Learning occurs when learners take ownership of their learning.
- Everyone is a teacher; everyone is a learner, all of the time.
- A learning environment is composed of its community members, cultural values, and physical surroundings.
- Improvement of the organization requires consciously collaborative participation by community members.
During the episode, Buffy shares about:
- Her background in school leadership, geology, and geophysics.
- The importance of early exposure to real-world experiences to foster a deep understanding of the world.
- How SEEQS integrates community building, content courses, and Essential Questions of Sustainability (EQS) to develop sustainability skills in students.
- Integrating meaningful reflection time within every learning experience
- Empowering learners to lead tours, exemplifying trust and empowerment within the school community.